Lapidary the Art of Diamond Cutting - Cutting, Bruiting, Setting & Polishing
Diamonds are prized for their lustre, transparency, refraction and dispersion of light. These may be, to some extent, visible even in their rough state; but in order to enhance these advantages the diamonds must be subjected to cleaving, bruiting, cutting, and polishing. Lapidary is the name given to the art of cutting, shaping, polishing and creating jewelry from stones. A skilful lapidary could bring out all the brilliance of a diamond whilst concealing its imperfections by choosing the most appropriate diamond cutting technique and best shape. The skill of diamond cutting is complicated work consisting of cutting, polishing, setting and cleaving. The terminology used in the old skill of diamond cutting is as follows:
- Lapidary - The art of cutting, shaping, polishing and creating jewelry from stones.
- The term was also used to describe an expert in cutting and polishing Diamonds Cutting - Every stone is examined minutely for flaws and imperfections, enabling the cutter to decide in which way the diamond will give the best possible results. Rough diamonds are then cut into a two-point, four-point, wass, drop briolette, rondelle, or table stone
- Bruiting - The term for shaping the girdle of diamonds
- Setting - A suitable setting for the diamond is selected and the mechanism used to hold the stones in place, such as the bezel, pave, channel and prong settings is chosen
- Polishing - Diamonds are polished according to the precise run of the grain and the way in which it will polish to the best advantage.
- Facet - Every facet of a diamond has a name, and every name denotes the grain, and how to polish that particular facet
- Diamond Symmetry - Symmetry is a term that refers to the alignment of a diamond's facets, its flat and polished surfaces.
- The facets are cut to achieve the best play of light.
- Cleaving - Taking a piece off a Diamond where it is too long, or making it into small stones where it is badly flawed, thus taking away the impurities and defects